A comprehensive and realistic guide that can help its readers discover how laws and ethical issues are vital to all business decisions. This book is equipped with active learning features—illustrating just how law and ethics apply to issues in the business world today. With over 200 real-world scenarios that can help you understand the what, why, and how of legal issues, it also covers both the law and ethical standards in the context of business dilemmas. Author Marianne Jennings presents current cases and examples highlight scenarios, such as the Houston Astros’ cheating scandal, Led Zeppelin’s decade-long copyright battle or liability issues for a college baseball player hit during a game.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Part I: BUSINESS: ITS LEGAL, ETHICAL, AND JUDICIAL ENVIRONMENT.
1. Introduction to Law.
2. Business Ethics and Social Responsibility.
3. The Judicial System.
4. Managing Disputes: Alternative Dispute Resolution and Litigation Strategies.
Part II: BUSINESS: ITS REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT.
5. Business and the Constitution.
6. Administrative Law.
7. International Law.
8. Business Crime.
9. Business Torts.
10. Environmental Regulation and Sustainability.
Part III: BUSINESS: SALES, CONTRACTS, AND COMPETITION.
11. Contracts and Sales: Introduction, Formation, and Consumer Protection.
12. Contracts and Sales: Performance, Remedies, and Collection.
13. Business Marketing and Products: Ads and Product Safety.
14. Business Competition: Antitrust Law.
15. Business and Intellectual Property Law.
Part IV: BUSINESS MANAGEMENT AND GOVERNANCE.
16. Management of Employee Conduct: Agency Law.
17. Governance and Structure: Forms of Doing Business.
18. Governance and Regulation: Securities Law.
19. Management of Employee Welfare.
20. Management: Employment Discrimination.
Appendix A: The United States Constitution.
Appendix B: The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (Excerpts).
Appendix C: The Uniform Commercial Code (Excerpts).
Appendix D: Dodd-Frank (Wall Street Reform and Consumer Financial Protection Act) (Excerpts).
Appendix E: The Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (Excerpts).
Appendix F: Sarbanes-Oxley Key Provisions.
Appendix G: The Copyright Act (as Amended) (Excerpts).
Appendix H: Title VII and the Civil Rights Act (Employment Provisions) (Excerpts).
Appendix I: The Americans with Disabilities Act (Excerpts).